- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened in the microwave for 30 sec. We prefer Ghee.
- ½ brown sugar. Add 1 cup if you like your cookies sweeter.
- ½ unsulphured molasses
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. We prefer Molina Mexican Vanilla Blend
- 3 and ½ cups all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 table spoons Pinole Blue Atole (Atole has ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and clove already). You can add 1 tablespoon of ground ginger to spice it up more.
What you need:
- 2 large bowls for mixing
- A hand-held or stand mixer
- Cooking/Dough scraper
Get to work:
- Beat the butter for 1 min. using a hand-held or stand mixer in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add the brown sugar and molasses and continue to beat for another 2 min. until brown and creamy looking. Scrape down the sides from time to time or as needed. Now, Add eggs and vanilla. Maintain the medium speed for another 2 min.
- Get a separate bowl. Mix the flour, baking soda, salt, Pinole Blue Atole together until well combined.
- Now, slowly add the flour mixture from step #3 to the buttery brown creamy mixture from step #2 until combined with the mixer. It is easier if you use your hands to knead the dough after you have mixed ½ of the flour mixture. Your dough should be thick and slight sticky. If your dough is dry, you should add some more butter to the dough.
- Divide the dough into half and place them in the plastic wrap in a disc shape. Store in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350F or 180C.
- While you are waiting for the oven to preheat. Roll the dough flat. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut out the cookies and have fun with it.
- Bake cookies for about 8-9 minutes, depending on your oven. If you want your cookies soft, bake only for 8 min.
- Decorate the cookies… but you don’t have to.
- Make a cup of Pinole Blue Atole or Pinole Blue Champurrado while eating those awesome cookies.