1. Corn Husks
2. 1 Pinole Blue Masa Mix
3. 100 grams of vegetable shortening
4. 1tsp of salt
5. 1tsp of baking powder
6. 2 cups water
7. Fruit, Nuts, Raisin and/or spices. Some people put chocolate, strawberries. Whatever will satisfy your sweet tooth.
Instructions: Soak the corn husks for 30 min. before you begin the steps below.
1. Mix vegetable shortening with the entire bag of Pinole Blue Masa Mix. Don't be afraid to use your hands.,, It got to mix well.
2. Slowly add 2 cups of water into the mix. Again, be strong and mix with your hands. The dough should come together like play dough.
3. Assemble the tamales. On the wide end of the husk, spread 2-3 tablespoons of dough, and don't cover the entire husk, leave some space on the edges. Top with fruit, nuts, raisins, spices, or whatever you wish. Fold both side of the husks over the filling. Make sure they overlap slightly for secure closure. Fold the narrow end of the husk over.
4. Add about 1 inch of water to a steamer pot or 6-quart stockpot and line with a layer of corn husks. Place the tamales upright in the steamer. Bring the water to a boil. Let them steam, covered, until the dough peels away from the husk, about 40-45 minutes.